Almond~Cherry Heart Cookies
My granddaughter Claire and I had fun making these tasty, yet simple cookies with a hint of almond flavor. I can say we had no left over cherries or cherry juice by the time we were finished.
- 1 Cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 30 heart shaped chocolate candies or Hershey kisses
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar and salt until fluffy. Beat in cherry juice, almond extract and food coloring. Gradually add in flour and mix until combined. Stir in cherries.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Press a chocolate heart immediately into the center of each cookie. The edges will crinkle. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes before removing to a cooling rack.